I work for a smaller IT company that manages roughly 800 computers. I use the agent every day to connect into client workstations and computers. The connectivity is spotty at best.
We have put in numerous tickets with labtech addressing the speed of connection as well as the inability to connect to client’s computers half of the time. Luckily we have adapted by having a readily available gotoassist account. We had always had this as a backup solution but never had to use it that much until now.
When addressing the issues with the support team at labtech we were told that the agent “doesn’t play well with sonicwall” and that it was “normal for the redirector to take up to 5 minutes to connect to a client’s computer”. My clients don’t have that amount of time.
Some of our clients host websites off of our servers and have been contacting us regularly since the installation of labtech because their site will be down and their server inaccessible. We have logged in and found that the labtech agent was using either all of the ram or all of the cpu in many cases. Restarting the labtech agent would only fix the issue for about 30 minutes and restarting the server would fix it for about a week. We have had to uninstall the agent from hosting environments in order to keep our customers from moving elsewhere.
We had put an emergency ticket in to try to get this issue resolved. Labtech support tried to contact us once during non-business hours the next day and closed the ticket. Apparently they don’t care that their remote management software performs more like malware than a remote management solution.
I miss using Kaseya. It worked every time and didn’t cause any headaches. All of the techs that I work with now spend more time troubleshooting the remote management software than they do managing clients computers.
I'd second what Mark is saying.. I've read some reviews and had concerns about support while reviewing the product. I sort of ignored these as you obviously get competing firms bad-mouthing each other.
Anyway, I've had an engineer evaluating Labtech and I've been pulled in a couple of times. The level of service from the sales guy we've been dealing with is like nothing I've ever experienced, i.e. cocky, bad-attitude, failing to come back when promised (a couple of times), dismissive, avoiding important functionality questions.
This is the first time I've ever felt the need to comment about a company... I've never, ever seen this behaviour at a sales level. I wouldn't like to think what the support service is like.
Unfortunately there isn't a "quality control" rating. If Labtech has a weak point it is in testing and quality control, IMHO. Support is responsive, but we have been told on numerous occasions that a particular issue is fixed in a maintenance release beta, but after installing it, we have to reopen those tickets because it's not fixed. In version 2.5 several scripts didn't work out of the box, and as I recall ones for things like Java (v6 update 8? was included) didn't work with the current Java 6 updates 15 and above.
We upgraded several 2.5 releases without issue, but after upgrading to version 2010 we discovered that several of the built in scripts don't work, since they reference groups that don't exist in non-clean installations of 2010. There was a logic error in the "automatically restart a stopped service" script that opened a ticket saying the service had not started if the service HAD in fact started (and it couldn't be corrected/saved because a group name it referenced didn't exist). For the 2010 installer there is a checkbox on the installer to reset the "theme" for the web site to the default. It does that even if the checkbox is unchecked. The Blacklisted Application alert will flag an application and immediately send another alert that the app was removed. Monitoring for the LTBackup program (ShadowProtect) regularly sends false "backup failed" alerts and Labtech shows incorrect schedule information in the computer's view. If anyone is intending to allow a client's IT staff to log in to use VNC, say, note that the Messages and Monitors windows allow all users to view a list of all client names, and the PC names at those clients. The Exchange Server and Exchange Server 2007 searches use the same test so show the same results (instead of differentiating versions).
You get the idea...there seem like a lot of little issues that would have been easily found and resolved with a basic level of testing.